↑ Return to Home

Print this Page

PAL® History

Classic PAL LogoPAL® Peer Assistance and Leadership began in 1980 as a “peer helping” program, combining “peer assistance” and “peer leadership” strategies originally developed in the late 1970’s.

Over the last couple decades, WAP has significantly enhanced and expanded these basic prevention strategies, evolving the PAL® peer helping program from an informal, extra-curricular activity in a single school district, into a formally structured, curriculum-based program, adopted by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) as an accredited elective course.

Additionally, after years of ongoing review processes, recently PAL® became an NREPP (National Registry of Evidence-based Programs & Practices) recognized program.

Because of its reputation for effectiveness and efficiency, over 750 school districts throughout Texas have requested services from PAL® Services WAP, Inc., and WAP has documented substantiated PAL® peer helping programs in over 1000 elementary, middle and high schools in Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Washington.

Permanent link to this article: http://palusa.org/home/history/